kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Bonsai trees and Bearded Dragons

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by WebJoel on May 11, 2003 at 23:22:45:

In Reply to: Bonsai trees and Bearded Dragons posted by Epic75 on May 08, 2003 at 12:21:53:

It would make a kewl photo-opportunity, but alot of 'houseplant' types are toxic, if not actually and outright poisonous. What springs to mind immediately, is "Ficus", which make excellent houseplants and I have several 'bonsai' Ficus trees. Hardy, easy to care for, but their leaves are toxic to cats and ferrets... so I have to keep my bonsais away from my ferret when she's loose. I have to infer that if toxic to mammals, better to avoid in reptiles too.

Beardies are quite hardy themselves, and can eat things that would make you think that they are on a death-wish... I heard that BD's occasionally can eat lives BEES... so, on a whime once and using a glass jar and lid, I 'captured' about 2-dozen honey bees and 'nuked them' in a microwave to kill them (cooked bees smell like steak!!), and snipped the actual stingers off but left the venom-sacs intact, and fed to a hungry adult beardie whom GREEDILY ate them ALL with no ill effects. In fact, s/he seemed quite grateful and slightly more active afterward!
I didn't repeat the experient nor encourage it being repeated, but, it was safe in that no ill effects were recorded.

I saw on 'Animal Planet' that feral BDs in Australia catch and eat tarantulas! I think that the spider venom they eat must have some aid to their immune system, for their ability to be 'immune' to the toxin, suggests something.

But re: the bonsai beardie relationship, best to avoid.
If you want to feed plants, try pesticide-free ("grow you own!") geraniums are great! Nutritious, and when I had beardies, they liked eating the flowers, leaves and stems. :-)
-Joel

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]