kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

The Natural = Good Phallacy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Tracey on May 11, 2003 at 21:51:20:

In Reply to: The Natural = Good Phallacy posted by georgio on May 11, 2003 at 19:17:38:

I know I did not say any where that natural always equals good......I said that I'm always looking for a more natural, better product. We all know that everything is not good, whether natural or not........you have to pick and choose to be sure of everything......that is also why I choose to by organic fruits and veggies for my reptiles....in the wild, you are right they get not pesticides or genetically altered or hormone enhanced foods.....neither here nor there.....everything you give your animals or yourself, whether from a large company or a small breeder, needs to be checked out. All long this thread we have said....get the info and check for yourself....not just believe us as if we know everything.....we do know what we have experienced and have chosen to share some of that in hopes that it will help others.

:First of all I have not used either ParaZap or Absolute Calcium and do not know if they effective products. However I have been reading this thread and think this discussion is interesting. One of the things I have noticed is there is an inclination for those defending Parazap and Absolute Calcium to use the argument that "since it is natural it is safe and good for you." I read an interesting article a while back explaining how this is a common misconception. If you accept the principles of evolution as most scientists do you will realize that a plants role is not to provide excellent nutrition but rather to survive. Almost every plant we buy at the grocery store is selectively bred to have its natural toxins reduced as low as possible. Thus wide scale use of pesticides is needed because the plants are now unable to defend themselves. "Nature" is not intended to feed us, its role is to survive and reproduce.

:I think the trend in herpetology (and any unknown field) at first is to try to and gain as much knowledge as possible in order to replicate the animal’s natural way of life. But once this knowledge is complete we may be able to devise unnatural improvements to a herps natural way of life in order to increase its health. Look at humans. Nobody can argue given our current lifespan that our "unnatural" lifestyle--sleeping on mattresses, going to doctors and taking medicines, even eating processed protein bars--has been overall detrimental to our health. Sure we go overboard with things such as fast food, lack of exercise and over medicating (to name a few) but on the whole we are vastly healthier than say the hunters and gatherers thousands of years ago. Vegetables are great for you and we should eat more of them. Parazap and Absolute Calcium could prove to be the best products in the world for our animals. But it is wrong to jump to the conclusion that because it is natural it is safer and superior to unnatural products.

:Peter

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]