kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Colubrids . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Please help. My female has lost her mind.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Irondog on May 10, 2003 at 10:41:53:

I'm worried.

My female is 10 months old. For five days now my female refuses to eat. All she does is dig. She stays in the hottest part of the tank and digs furiously all day. She digs right down to the glass, and then keeps trying to dig through the glass.

This worries me for a few reasons:
She gets all her moisture from food. She doesn't drink water I drip on her head. So she hasn't had food or moisture for almost a week. At the same time she's actively digging all day in the hottest part of the tank. I'm worried she's dehydrated.

I have a heater under the glass on that side of the tank. Like I said, she digs right down to the glass and keeps digging. So she's basically right on top of the heater. She doesn't seem to mind at all, and she could go to the cool end of the tank anytime she wants, but I still worry that she's overheating. The heater isn't hot enough to burn her, but when I pick her up and put her on my shoulder, I can feel her hot little tummy through my shirt.

I use play sand as a substrate. Normally this is fine. But with her digging all day, it kicks up dust in the tank. She's breathing this dust all day. I don't know how she can stand it.

What should I do?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]