kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Oh, also....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by -ryan- on May 08, 2003 at 15:29:29:

In Reply to: how large? posted by -ryan- on May 08, 2003 at 15:26:04:

They like to run around on the ground and bask on branches and rocks and stuff. So just get some branches that are about as thick as the lizard (buy them, it's too much trouble to find them and bleach them in my opinion), plus some rocks (much easier to bleach as long as they are somewhat smooth). You can also do stuff with bricks and flagstone and stuff the they like to climb on.

Make sure you go to all of the caresheets, there is a lot of other important stuff you need too, like UV lighting.

:I reccomend at least a 75 gallon tank (48" long x 18" deep x 20" tall) for one adult. A custom enclosure of 4'x2'x2' is much better though. You can use a 40 gallon breeder or other tank with a 36"x18" floor, but I would not reccomend it for a dragon that is over 18". I have one right now for my sid, but he is only 16" right now, so it's just almost too small for him. When I get the money (or when Christmas comes around, since I am just a kid), I want to get him this custom enclosure. They are sold by this reptile breeder near here, and they are beautiful. I think he makes them with his brother or something, but all I know is that they are fantastic cages. They have vents in the back, and hinged, framed glass doors instead of sliding ones. Also, instead of just being flat on the outside, they are more like nice furniture. I think most of them are unfinished (meaning not painted or anything on the outside), and they look great that way. I used to have one back when I had my snake, but we had to sell him back to the breeder because he was too aggressive (to the point where we couldn't get him out of the cage, he would zoom around so we couldn't get him, and then hiss and stuff which would always scare my mom).

:So anyways, that will be a 4'x2'x2' enclosure. I used to think that it would be best for me to get the minimum sized enclosure (the 40 gallon) because I thought I would have him out all day, but then with my busy schedule, I only have about 45 minutes per day to spend letting him run around, feeding him, and cleaning his cage, and also petting him and letting him crawl all over me.

:So basically, I am trying to say that bigger is always better.

:later

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]