kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A little NEwbie Question!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by dragonsbynature on May 07, 2003 at 23:51:28:

In Reply to: A little NEwbie Question! posted by jtatarin on May 07, 2003 at 23:35:14:

Hi, yea you'll get a lot of different opinions on just about everything. What has worked well for us is a basking spot area of around 120 directly under the bulb, with the area around the bulb getting around 110 to 100. We use normal reg 75watt house bulbs for heat, but use Repti-Sun 5.0 UVB bulbs for lighting. The reflector size won't matter, just make sure it supports 100w bulbs in case you need to upgrade your bulb. Home Depot sells them for like $7. You're pretty much right about the cool side gradient temps. I think the original idea behind that was to get the overall cage temps to be between 115 or so to 80.. so you won't get 115 under the bulb and like 60 degrees in the rest of the cage.. that would not be good for overall effects. g'luck with your new hatchling :)

dBn

:I was going to buy my first bearding hatchling for a pet but before I do so I have a few questions. I have been reasearching beardies for about a week now and I am pretty confident I know JUST about everything I need to know.. Anyways I was planning on buying a 20 gallon tank for a hatchling. I was gona use a piece of cardboard to block off part of the tank so it will be easier for him to find food being so small in such a big enclosure. I was gona get a zoomed basking spot bulb for the basking light. What wattage should I get aswell as the size of the reflector for use in a 20 gallon. I was planning on getting a digital thermometer and placing the probe at the basking branch closest to the bulb (hottest part). What temps should be there. I have heard babies need a hotter basking spot. I have been to many sites all with different temps. Some have said no higher than 95 others have said 120. In fact king snakes care sheet recommends it to be 90 to 105 but some sites have mentioned babies need hotter. Also as far as heat, is that the only heating device I need. I have been to some sites and they say the cooler side should be between 80 and 85. I didn't think the cooler side mattered because I figured as long as the basking spot is hot enough the bearding can move to different brances to thermoregulate. My house is like 72-75 degrees. Ad for lighting zoomed reptisun 5.0.. Sound like a good setup... thanks!

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]