kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

SUBSTRATE ONCE AND FOR ALL!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by bexley on May 06, 2003 at 11:20:06:

In Reply to: SUBSTRATE ONCE AND FOR ALL! posted by TheNakedCowboy1 on May 06, 2003 at 00:50:58:

There's alot of different things people use, with pro's and con's to each. I think most will tell you paper for babies up to 8" or so. I myself use bran, my beardie loves it and its very economical for me ( I buy bulk at a health food store ), but it can be dusty if it comes from a feed store. Many people use washed playsand as well. I think everyone will agree for the most part that *calcisand is bad*, as beardies may decide to eat it and get impacted. I tried rabbit pellets for a while too, the smell was nice but I find wheat bran easier to clean and my beardie likes bran better.

So, the answer, is read and try a few things, be smart and settle on what you like to use :) My little guy loves bran, he digs in it and tosses it around, I put it down about 4" deep, but I also make sure that all cage accessories are on the very bottom of his cage before putting bran in. Because it is so easy to dig, there is a risk of things falling and squishing beardies if they dig under it. I use flat rocks underneath ornaments so they aren't buried in bran (till he starts digging), and it works out well.

And, btw, beardies are the most wonderful pet :) You won't regret your decision!

:Okay well I have done about 10 hours of research and I think that I am going to get a Bearded Dragon. Not sure what color or anything yet but I know it's gonna be a BD. He is going to be spoiled too! A nice 75 gallon tank with anything he wants! I am only gettin the 75 because I am custom building the tank and I want to add a few females once I get used to the male. Anyway ... I have a question!

:WHAT SUBSTRATE SHOULD I USE?!?!

:I looked on one very very good site (http://www.biology.lsa.umich.edu/research/labs/ktosney/file/BDcare.html) and it recomends rabbit pellets or calcium carbonate sand. These both have their downsides (Rabbit pellets mold easily when wet and calcium has been linked to death in lizards). I want something that is natural looking (NOT NEWSPAPER OR PAPER TOWELS) and has good benefits. If it is some sort of carpet that is non-absorbent, it is okay because I designed a really cool tank that is semi-sloped down into a thing I can drain very easily. So0o0o0 I'm waiting for some help! :)

:Thanks again guys, God Bless!
:-- Kevin

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]