kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Ummm...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Illieyasha on May 06, 2003 at 10:49:04:

In Reply to: Are BD Right for me? posted by ZackD. on May 05, 2003 at 23:15:44:

:Yes, a full grown beardie will surpase 2 ft (Including tail) they need a semi large enclosure.

That's not true. Most grow to be anywhere from 16 inches to roughly 22. Very few surpass 24 inches in length.

:They eat crickets as there main staple, and move up to mealworms as they get older, they also eat fair amounts of greens.

Mealworms can cause impaction. They should most definitely NOT be a staple. As the Bearded Dragon gets older (after about one year) it should be eating more greens and veggies than insects. If you're not sure on other good insects, sticking with crickets isn't a bad thing. Also, weaning onto Repcal pellets or something of the like is possible. Mine eats mostly greens/veggies, pellets, and sometimes Can-o-Crickets.

:Fun Defiantly, Docile wouldent be a word id describe them with, they are very active during a majority of there waking hours, they need to be taken out of there cage and be allowed to explore and roam around, as well as handled daily.

That's not what docile means. And as far as lizards go, they are some of the most docile (1. Ready and willing to be taught; teachable. 2. Yielding to supervision, direction, or management; tractable). And yes, they can be very fun.

:Despite being very active they are pretty easy going, a mean dragon is an uncommon sight, but sometimes they do need alot of extra attention when young.

Mean dragons are practically everywhere. They're not domesticated animals like dogs (they are generally captive bred, but domestication has something to do with genetics). While many are very sweet, there are also many that do need extra effort to tame them. My one friend has had two dragons and both needed that.

I may not be a dictionary on Bearded Dragons, but those are some of the things of which I am relatively certain.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]