kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

My dragon must be laid back....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by -ryan- on May 05, 2003 at 20:00:58:

In Reply to: New cage setups... posted by zz on May 05, 2003 at 10:47:46:

I have changed everything in his cage at least once in the 6-7 monthes that I had him. I actually switched from calcium sand to rabbit pellets in the first week, then to repti-sand the next week, and then later on I decided to go with carpet. Now I have him on paper towels until his poo get's better (he has had coccidia, and it's really hard to keep it clean). I have also changed his old basking log and other log to just one big log, and I have changed his food bowl. Not to mention lights (i went from red to white colored lights). Through all of it he was fine. Really laid back about it. He just explored a lot more whenever I did it. When i first put in the new log (which gets about 3 inches from the screen top at one point) he would kind of look up, the latch onto the screen with his claws, wait there, and then fall to the floor of the cage. Luckily it's only a 16 or 18" tall cage, so he didn't get hurt. Right now I am just having a problem with his heating stuff.

later

:Beardies grow very accustomed to thier surrounding. When you change it, you put them through stress (not life threatening, but stress nonetheless). What your beardie does is normal. It takes my little diva about a week to act normal again. I just recently changed his beddding (finally went to wheat bran). He didn't want to touch it. He even slept on his basking log so he wouldn't touch it. He did this for about a week. Yours will get used to it to.

::Do any of your beardies act strange when you rearange there stuff after you clean there cage?

::Well I recently changed his setup, proped the rock on the side so he would have a place to hide, put the heating lamp over the piece of slate I have in there because I figured it absored heat for his belly better then the branch I used to have in there.

::Well anyway I put him in there, under his lamp so he would know "this is your new basking spot" He look around, started pacing in front of his glass, ran around licked EVERYTHING in the cage, sat on the branch that was his old basking spot, probibly wondering why he wasent geting warm, ran around, licked some more stuff, then started trying to scale the walls of his cage. Well I decided to take him out, will he eventually warm up to the new setup? Or should I restore it to its old arangment?

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]