kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Just wanted to say............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by LindsayMarie on May 05, 2003 at 07:19:18:

In Reply to: Eating from your hand... posted by ZackD. on May 04, 2003 at 22:41:47:

BE CAREFUL!LOL Right now I have 6 dragons (number changes frequently). Anyways, all will eat from my hands. But unfortunately one is OVERLY excited to do so and has bit me on accident a couple times! haha Her name is Daisy and she is crazy when it comes to food. She begs for food like a dog, will run for it, paces her cage when she knows its feeding time etc! Shes nuts! She eats constantly and her metabolism is so fast. She just LOVES food.

I just wanted people to know that a bite can happen and it DOES hurt. As a matter of fact, speaking of bites. In late 2001 or early 2002 (cant remember exactly date off hand) I was trying to handfeed Dashe medicine which he REFUSED to lick on his own. So I tried to open his mouth manually for the first time with any of my dragons and out of defense he tried shutting his mouth and backing up and my thumb slipped and he chomped down on my finger and pulled back ripping the tip of my thumb almost completely off! OUCH!LOL I had to go to the emergency room and get stitiches and it was black and blue for 3-4 weeks. It took me almost half a year to get feeling back in it! He did not do it intentionally or anything and it was because of my lack of knowledge in the area of opening their mouths. Well I thought I would share my experiences!

I still highly recommend hand feeding your dragons food :) I do it everyday! I found when I was first getting them to eat out of my hand that it was easier with worms. Now they eat different worms, roaches and sometimes veggies from my hand. None of my dragons have ate crickets since their were young, so I dont know if they would eat those out of my hand! For some reason (reason I think being worms) all my dragons refused crickets after like 6 months of age, some sooner! BRATS!

Just be patient and careful and I am sure your baby will eat out of your hand soon :) Goodluck, LM

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]