kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

mealworms for new baby?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]

Posted by Buglady on May 04, 2003 at 12:29:03:

In Reply to: mealworms for new baby? posted by ZEB70 on May 03, 2003 at 19:25:46:

I have actually had good results feeding 1/4" mealworms to my hatchling beardies. In fact, my babies' first food is often mealworms. Before you get excited, I must tell you that I am always very mindful about giving hatchlings the appropriate sized foods, and the extra-small mealworms have to be special-ordered. I simply find them easier for the beardies to manage than crickets in the very beginning.

It was frustrating when the little crickets would hide before the beardies could eat them, only to reappear at night, crawling all over the place. I offer the tiny mealworms from a wide, shallow dish or jar-lid, where their wiggling attracts even day-old baby beardies, who eat them eagerly.

After a gew days of eating the mealworms, the babies are already growing bigger and stronger, and are better able to chase down the crickets. Another plus: in about a week, these eager babies are learning to associate their feeding dish itself with food, so when I place it in the cage, they come running to eat! Next, I can put finely shredded greens and veggies in the dish, and they all come to check it out (and eat it).

I haven't really had trouble with beardies becoming addicted to the mealworms. When their cage temp. is warm enough, their little metabolisms are up and running, and they will eat just about anything. By the time my babies are about 2 weeks old, the mini mealworms are just a part of their balanced diet, which includes crickets, greens/veggies, and even juvi-size Rep-Cal pellets. I feel satisfied that I am giving them a good start in life.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Bearded Dragon Forum ]