kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

A few questions regarding cage layout/temperature..

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Mike_S on May 07, 2003 at 11:26:50:

In Reply to: A few questions regarding cage layout/temperature.. posted by christi/tyler on May 07, 2003 at 00:13:08:

I'd agree with Fred. When I got my first ball I put her in a big rubbermaid measuring 36"x18"x18". This was before I'd ever even seen this site. And she's always been healthy never missed a meal unless it's breeding season. Now as an adult she's in the same size rubbermaid but it's only about 10" tall. I think people say to keep em in a small aquarium or tub just because baby balls like security and eat when they aren't stressed. And small enclosures might provide security but there's nothing wrong with bigger enclosures if you have the room.

I'd also say your temps are a little low, those temps are fine for ambient air but I think they need a basking site of at least 90 for a healthy immune system. If you do stay with the 10 gal try a regular 40-60watt bulb, but don't cook that little 10gal. Maybe double check your thermometer with a known good calibrated thermometer that measures air temp.

:I've had my ball python for about two months now, and he seems to be doing well... he's eaten four times in a row, and has done a perfect full shed. However, I've been doing a lot of research, and have gotten some conflicting information regarding cage layout and temperatures.

:The "hot" side of my cage is at about 84 degrees Farenheit during the day, and the "cool" side is at about 77 degrees during the day. I'm using a 100-watt Daytime Glo bulb to light/heat the cage during the day, and turning it off at night, which drops the entire cage down to about 77 degrees. I have been told that the snake needs to be provided with a basking area at night, in case it needs to thermoregulate... what's the best way to go about doing this? I've considered an undertank heater, but his cage sits on the carpeted floor, so I don't know if that would be practical.

:Also, I've been told that I need to provide him with two different hide boxes, one on the "hot" side and one on the "cool" side. However, I have also been told to not house him in anything larger than a 10-gallon (he's about two feet long); having two hide boxes of appropriate size doesn't really leave much room for anything else.

:I'm willing to do what it takes to ensure that my snake is taken care of and as comfortable as possible... any comments/suggestions on my current setup and what I could do to better it, or if I even need to at all, would be very much appreciated.
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]