kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Aspen Snake Bedding  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

When should I start to worry about my non-feeders?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Sonya on May 03, 2003 at 09:06:55:

In Reply to: When should I start to worry about my non-feeders? posted by JM on May 02, 2003 at 12:23:37:

:And will it do any good to worry about the non-feeders?

:Most of my snakes are feeding, but I have few hold outs, and it's practically summer.....so should I start to worry?

:I've got an 02 normal female that fed last on 1-31-03. I'm not sure exactly how much weight she has lost, approx 40 grams from almost 300 grams to 250 grams.

:I have a LTC female that I purchased in Febuary of 03, she has never fed for me. She has lost approx 60 grams from 1830 grams down to 1770 grams.

:I have two tiny 03 babies I purchased last week. I purchased them as "Feeding" but I suspect they have never fed. They were in shed when I recieved them last Saturday and weigh 61 grams and the other is 72 grams. Little guys. I've left them overnight with mouse fuzzies and with rat pinks....no feeding yet.

:When should I start to worry? What should I do when I do start to worry?

I personally wouldn't have even tried to feed anyone til they had been there 3 or 4 weeks. Then leave the babies with a smaller than you think they should take mouse. I go with frozen thawed and it has worked for me. Though often babies want live pinks or fuzzys. In the cage, overnight, lights out and no peeking. If they have truly not ever fed you may need to assist feed the first couple of times. Put a pinky head in their mouth and calmly put them down. Often they will swallow it. Rat pinks work well for this 'cause they are longer and seem to stimulate a feed reflex sooner.
Your female that lost 40 grams is the only one of concern and since she ate in Jan. you may have to wait her out til end of May. But I would bet they will all kick in this month.
Sonya

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]