kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

live plants?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]

Posted by Whalesong on May 02, 2003 at 15:52:13:

In Reply to: live plants? posted by SaraFox on May 01, 2003 at 22:43:48:

It sounds to me like you are sacrificing the comfort of your ball pythons for the sake of your landscaping! I think you hsould take your lovely plants out, grow them in pots on your patio or windowsill, and put in a fake plant that won't outgrow your enclosure. Ball Pythons don't climb trees and they don't live in groups, so I would not put any more snakes in that cage. Keep a nice bushy small fake or live plant (consider an asparagus fern or even a simple spider plant) for them to hide in (along with some rock caves) and be ready to separate them when they get to be adult size. An enclosure that is too big can actually scare your little babies into hiding and starving, so keep them in smaller containers until they are longer than their cage, then move them into the bigger one.

I know, you already spent all kinds of money on your new tank, but maybe you can re-sell it or return it. Get two 40-gallons for your two snakes, have the Ivy and a couple rock caves. If you can't return it, consider an arboreal snake (tree boa?) that will love your tall tree-filled cage. If you can't keep both the two babies in the 40's and a tree boa (or something) in the tree cage, then there are dozens of people on this forum (myself included) that will gratefully take your little baby girls and pay for shipping.

Sorry about the long post, it's just my personal opinion. Good Luck :)

Caitlin

:I have had a pothos in with my baby python for a while now, but I'm buying a much larger cage and planning to put in a fuller pothos and some ivy. They should be alright with her, shouldn't they? Also, I bought a 'creeping ficus' (ficus pumila)... any one know if this is ok before I put it in there as well? She loves to sit in the plants in the middle of the day.
:Also, how many baby balls could go comfortable into a 90 gallon? I think it would be a 90 tall, and it is cross-vented also. I have two baby girls now, but I plan to buy one, maybe two more. Could I keep 3 or 4 babies in this cage without any problems? I will buy another when they get too big for it if it does become a problem.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Ball Python Forum ]