kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Yellow Banded Sea Krait

[ Rispondi ] [ Spedire la Risposta ] [ HerpForum - Asia/Pacific Rim ]

Inviato da Tony on Settembre 23, 2000 at 16:12:46:

In Reply to: Yellow Banded Sea Krait posted by Langley on Giugno 30, 2000 at 13:42:42:

It was *not* a Yellow-banded Sea Krait! It was in fact a Mangrove Snake, a species indigenous to various regions in Southeast Asia and especially to Borneo. I've kept several of these in the past. They are rear-fanged and mildly venomous and they are technically tree snakes, hence its initial position in the tree (so he hurls the poor thing out into the ocean ;-)

Mangroves are actually very beautiful snakes -- one of my favorites. It seems someone (either the Survivor contestant, Rich, or the producer he quoted) was vastly misinformed. I, personally, got the impression that the Rich character was trying to be authoritative beyond his ability.

Hope this answers your question.

:

: Did anyone see this week's (June 28) "Survivor" episode on CBS. The one in which one of the contestants grabbed what he said the producers warned him was a Yellow Banded Sea Krait ("really deadly ... as in, six hours deadly)," by the tail and threw it into the surf ?

: I'll admit right up front that I'm not an expert on the venomous snakes of the Borneo area, but this thing looked just like a Mangrove Snake to me. And when I searched the Web for "Yellow Banded Sea Krait," I couldn't find anything.

: Were he and the show's producers correct ? Was it a Yellow Banded Sea Krait, a Mangrove Snake, or something else ?

: Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ HerpForum - Asia/Pacific Rim ] [ FAQ ]