kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Silicone and plants.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Slaytonp on May 08, 2003 at 19:48:21:

In Reply to: Silicone and plants. posted by -WiZaRd on May 08, 2003 at 16:59:25:

No, it won't kill them. There is little contact when you are using silicon to attach them. Silcon glue products in general are relatively non-toxic when cured. The aquarium-safe, expensive small squeeze tubes that are hard to use, are a rip-off. Use the "search" to go through a recent discussion on silicon that will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about it, ad nauseum.

I personaly attach the board background fiber to the back of the glass tanks with caulk gun silicon-- as long as it's clear, whatever grade, it works. Then I peg the broms to to the fiber boards with either tooth picks or bamboo skewers, whichever works for the size of each. I sometimes secure them with dental floss or dried Spanish moss and leave everything there until the plants develop aerial roots and take hold. Then I clip off all of the extraneous material.

Avoid buying mature bromeiliads. Buy the pups. They are easier to handle and place than the mature ones that are forced into an impressive size beyond what you want, are about to bloom and may not be able to establish aerial roots and put out pups before the transplant exhausts them.

You'll get some other advice, I hope, but unless you are going to cover your broms with silicon, it isn't going to kill them.

Patty

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]