Well I have tried the FF recipe that has been posted here and other places, and so far (1 week) I have TONS of larva (small ff's). More than I have ever seen with Carolina medium.
Here is what I used: 1 Cup Powdered Sugar 8 Cups potato Flakes 1/2 Cup Brewers Yeast
1/2 water, 1/2 Distilled white vinegar, with active yeast sprinkled on top.
So far this medium is looking really nice, and very very cheap. I will just have to wait and see how it does over time with mold and etc. Right now I am making 2 cultures of this, and 2 of Carolina side by side each week. If this new medium keeps up I will just keep running with it after my carolina is gone.
Just wanted to post my findings maybe it will help someone else out.