kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I raised a bunch-and this was the color...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by shopaholic on May 02, 2003 at 01:03:47:

In Reply to: I raised a bunch-and this was the color... posted by Double J on April 30, 2003 at 21:44:44:

I think it was pure dumb luck and not so much experience or skill. The first few hundred eggs happened quite on their own. I didn't even know what happened( I thought the hooting sound was an owl)!! I was just a kid and when I realized that the twitching flatworm like tads in gelly sacks were actually tads forming inside eggs and not some alien invasion of my tank, I stopped screaming and started jumping for joy and knew only to go to the fish store. No internet then, I barely had a chapter in a book called Breeding Terrarium Animials. It had no specific info on feeding and so I'm afraid I lost many of the the first clutch to standing by with little info, and food. Lady at the fish store had me try that seaweed looking stuff you put inside a gold fish bowl(arachnis-sp?), washed lettus, fish flakes, and my water portion was full of algae that they couldn't get enough of(They voaciously ate every one of those things and were very fat.) And there you have it-yellow bellies. It happened like that every clutch after, and i had many more live toadletts. I had about 5 inches of water in the water portion. I saw PDF pair in amplexus in the pet store, and the personnell said they didn't do anything but bark. The set up only had a cup of water though. I took that pair home and put them in the tank with the 5 inches of water and they wouldn't stop laying. I'm just now gettng into PDFs and I can tell already that the FBT are WAYYYY more easy and prolific(I know that peice of info is obvious) i just say that to say, Yours will surely please you and come easily for you if you are already so experienced in PDFs. Happy egg raising!!Hopefully you can help me with PDF tad raising?

:Interesting. What exactly did you feed the tads? Did you have any sort of spirulina in the diet? Either way, you certainly have your share of experienced raising tads :) It's funny, I had darts long before I had fire-bellies (I only got my FBTs about a month ago), and lord, my fire bellies will not stop amplexing each other. Then, I hear them moaning all night :) No eggs yet though :) Anyway, that was a neat little tidbit of info. Thanks for chiming in shopaholic
:Double J

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]