kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Interested in Arrows

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Slaytonp on April 28, 2003 at 02:27:01:

In Reply to: Interested in Arrows posted by Midask9 on April 27, 2003 at 20:46:51:

:I do not have any frogs currently, but have always been interested in arrow frogs, the colors, etc entice me. Am wondering if there are any suggestions for beginners, what type to start with, or maybe a good book that I could read before I delve into this? I would rather learn and do it right the first time, than learn from huge (and preventable) mistakes. Thanks in advance for the feedback, I really appreciate it!!
:Terri

Be sure to scroll down and look in the dicussions that have gone on in the past week. These will give you more information than you want to know, from building a vivarium, with lots of good ideas, images, etc., to what frog each person considers to be a good "beginner's frog" and why, as well as details about raising fruit flies and how to feed the frogs. Read Saurian's care sheets!

Don't be intimidated about going for it, provided you have the interest and time for continued care. These aren't pets for the causual purchaser of a gold fish. In fact, they aren't really "pets" in the same sense as a turtle or many reptiles because one can't carry them to scool in a pocket for show and tell, nor can adults always be able to show them off to friends at all times in their habitat.

For beauty, well-- they are indeed jewels. My imitators remind me of Black Hills Gold earrings, tiny pendants of yellow, green and rosy tinted gold that glitters when the sunlight hits them. They are set in a saphire belly and legs dotted with black pearls. The pumpkin galacs look like some of our local redneck fishermen/hunters dressed in their fluorescent orange jumpsuits that are supposed to keep them from shooting each other instead of whatever they are after. (This colorful warning seems to work better for frogs than people). I want to provide them with mini-cans of Budweiser to toss all over their habitat, just to complete the analogy. The blue aruatus imitate the sky and sea painted over ebony, at least when your can see them or entice them out of hiding.

One warning should be posted by the surgeon general however. Arrow frogs are at least as addictive as heroin and you may find yourself encouraging your teen-aged children to run away from home to make room for more vivariums full of frogs. The frogs have more sense and will appreciate you better than your kids do.

Toss the TV set. Some of the species put on better soap opera dramas and better professional wrestling matches, without the commercials.

Do go for this hobby. There is plenty of support right here by some very nice people.

Patty

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]