kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more
return to main index
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
 
click here for Reptile SuperShow
Professional Cages & Rack Systems
Made in the USA - Freedom Breeder
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Rattlesnake Friday . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Kissimmee - Oct. 21-22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Denver - Oct. 21-22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Oct. 21 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct. 21, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Long Island Reptile Expo - Oct. 22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Richmond Reptile Expo - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon West Palm Beach - Oct. 28-29, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Mid Atlantic Reptile Expo - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Amph & Reptile Society Meeting - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  All Ohio Reptile Show - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . . 

Winterstone two more photos of early construction


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Slaytonp on April 24, 2003 at 16:11:48:

I think the one problem I didn't solve completely, alhtough I got it to work, was the waterproof sealant, so if anyone tries the Winterstone, there's no doubt better methods of final waterproofing. As I said, it is weather resistant, but like concrete or brick, no actually waterPROOF. I first tried a water based all purpose sealant to which I added the color and sand texturing. When this began to bubble and lift in places after testing for two days with water, I dried it all out and put a coat of Thompson's Water Seal on top of everything. This actually worked, but there's surely a better way. I experimented with adding Tints.all paste to some of the Thompsons, but it wasn't compatible. Another drawback is after curing and then testing again, there was an oily film in the water from the second sealant. I'm currently skimming and removing this, replacing the water as I go. If this isn't actually toxic, it certainly wouldn't be good for flora or fauna. Maybe a longer cure time would have avoided this.

This pic is of the clay mix being put over the armature of mesh and burlap. (The sculptor's mesh is very flexible and cuts with scissors)


Follow Ups:




[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]