kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Does anybody know for sure what species this is???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Randy27 on April 24, 2003 at 09:30:26:

In Reply to: Does anybody know for sure what species this is??? posted by rayesreptiles on April 23, 2003 at 23:02:07:

I don't think that we should place that much attention on back-leg flashes. These markings can appear in the blink of an evolutionary eye in just a dozen or so generations if conditions are favorable.

:the book Walls (Jewels of the Rainforest) 1994 is not only outdated taxonomy wise, but should be looked at as a pretty picture book as there is some information that really isn;t accurate as well...

:As for the frog, I'd keep it as Epipedobates sp. and just not lable it... as there is a very large chance it has no lable. It very well could have been collected from an area not decribed or closely looked at as of yet... peru (if that is where they were collected as was implied in earlier messages) is rather large and Schulte is a busy man as he is trying to figure out the quinquevittatus group in Peru at the moment (especially the imitator ssp.) so I don't think he's gotten a chance to look into epipedobates. I am an epipedobates fan and that frog struck me and neither what US froggers would call pictus or hahneli (I have some pics of a form of "hahneli", and the flash marks are yellow and in a different spot on the leg, which makes you wonder, if pictus and hahneli have it in the same spot, what is this frog?). So honestly, I'd stick with E. sp., not bother labling it, you would too easily confuse people, it may not indeed be part of those species, and I wouldn't want to risk your frogs being crosses with the other frogs believed to be hahneli or pictus.

:::What is the book you’re going by? The pictus group of frogs has been ripped up and broken over the years very similar to vents. I am pretty shore (but not positive) that both femoralis, and hahneli have the spot hahneli are yellow and femoralis are a red/orange color.
::: Brian Ferriera Jr
:::Plympton, Ma
::::: Brian Ferriera JR
::::: Plympton, MA
::::::Looks like a form of Epipedobates bassleri to me (I could be wrong). If you would like to see more pics of them go to http://www.livingunderworld.org/gallery/photos/anura/dendrobatidae/epipedobates/bassleri/

::::::

:::::::I've got a breeding group of 6. Bought them in Germany from an Hungarian guy. He said they are pictus but I don't think they are. They don't look the same and they sure don't sound the same. Some people think it could be femoralis. I go for hahneli for know. But I would sure like to have some more information. Does anybody know where in Peru they come from??

:::::::Greetings Remco

::::::Under the description I have for E. pictus it says: There is a bright spot, usually yellow to red under the base of the shank (proximoventral calf spot) that is absent in E. femoralis and almost all other similar species. I think I'm seeing this on your frog in the picture. The white stripes do not meet on the snout in pictus. But then if the call is different???

:::::I'm using Walls (Jewels of the Rainforest) 1994, but although the picts are beautiful, taxonomy is always changing, so it probably is outdated. Patty
:::::

::::
::::

:::
:::

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]