kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Culturing small food

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by kyle1745 on April 23, 2003 at 21:26:37:

In Reply to: Culturing small food posted by Homer1 on April 23, 2003 at 19:05:10:

I also have to vote for Leucs. They were my first frogs, after a lot of people telling me to start with them. They are great, and very active.

Kyle

:You might have a larger variety of food items available to azureus, but I personally think that culturing melanogasters and springtails are two of the easiest food items. Once you have a strong culture of springtails going (takes about a month), you have a nearly endless supply, and can start making up more cultures from there, if you like.

:Drosophila melanogaster (the smaller of the two fruit flies commonly available in the hobby) have a shorter life cycle, and therefore can be turned over more quickly than the hydei. I've never kept imitators, so I can't speak to anything more, but the food items seem pretty easy.

:That said, you've got to love the fact that D. tincorius, often referred to as "tincs", (to which azureus is closely related) are voracious eaters and bold. Plus, I like the fact that they get pretty large. I decided on some New River Tincs because they are essentially the same coloration as azureus, a little cheaper, and grow larger. For me, that's a winning combo. Several people swear by D. leucomelas as a great starting frog, too. You have quite a variety of options available between the different morphs of tincs and the other frogs listed.

:Best of luck, whatever you decide.

:Homer

:
::i myself would say to go with an Azureus. Theyre alot bolder, eat a larger variety of foods that are readily avaliable, with an imitaor youd have to worry bout htings like culturing springtails, small fruitflies, parasitic wasps. as with the Azureus u can does fruitflies, small crickets 1/8th in size, small wax worms, micromealworms,so forth. just easier all around. once u get the hang of it pick up some imitators. theyre easy as well, just some experiance would help you deal with the imitators.

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]