kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Me too . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Homer1 on April 22, 2003 at 11:11:48:

In Reply to: Nepenthes posted by dvknight on April 22, 2003 at 10:49:52:

I read the blurb at Black Jungle about auratus clutches in the pitchers. Figuring that most pitchers wouldn't be big enough to trap a full grown tinc, I purchased one (a Nepthene, sometimes called a "tropical pitcher plant") on clearance at Lowe's for $2. It's growing like mad in my terrarium. I'm hoping it will vine up the back of my terrarium to cover some of the coco-mat.

The new pitchers forming are MUCH larger than the ones that were originally on it, but still not big enough to worry about. I have mine growing directly in the substrate, but that substrate is particularly suited for epiphytes (coco husk chips and activated carbon). I also bought some other carnivorous plants, but after reading about the growing conditions for them, I decided to only place the Nepthene sp. in my dart frog terrarium. There are several species, and several places from which to buy them (online or otherwise). I think they're pretty cool, and I think that a little bit of common sense can allow their use in dart frog terrariums.

Homer

:I have 6 small Nepenthes hybrids mounted on vines and cork in my 50 gallon vivarium. All of these were purchased at home depot for 5 dollars each. Last week, Home Depot had a large Nepenthes hybrid with 2 inch pitchers...for $7.37! I have placed this in a 20 gallon high vivarium I am setting up for my leucs. All of the Nepenthes at Home Depot come from Gubler's Orchids (www.gublers.com).

:If you do a search on the archive on Nepenthes you will find that someone had posted about Black Jungle having auratus laying eggs in Nepenthes pitchers, and producing viable tadpoles. After reading that, I decided I would not worry about "frog eating plants." If I ever see a problem, the frogs obviously have priority over the plants!

:Nepenthes are well suited to vivarium conditions for they don't require a dormancy period like other carnivorous plants. To be honest with you, I don't know why more people don't have them in their vivaria, for they are epiphytes which thrive...and look very cool! I will try to get some pics within a week or so.

:Let me know if I can help with anything else.

:Dave

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]