kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

What do you do about fogging glass?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Homer1 on April 22, 2003 at 10:45:36:

In Reply to: What do you do about fogging glass? posted by kyle1745 on April 22, 2003 at 10:36:06:

Sounds like the same concept as I had. Man! I wish I could come up with a novel idea! Oh well, apparently it works. I'm going to arrange it so that the fan sits in a cabinet below the tank (along with a humidifier that will be hooked up to a similar piece of drilled PVC running across the back). Let us know how you solve your dilemma. Thanks for the update.

Homer

:I have heard of poeople using a small aquarium pump, and then putting air tubes around the glass with a "T" every couple inches pointing down the glass. I actually bought all the stuff to do this, but then took it all back. I have been testing a fan on my Leuc tank, and it is working well. I only run it 3-5 mins an hour during the day, and then 5 or more mins first thing in the morning. I need to go get a smaller fan, but I am going to test this one on my new tank.

:Kyle

:
::Yes, moving water features certainly humidify a tank far more than I would have imagined. You'll have to be careful about keeping enough water in the reservoir as well, because evaporation occurs faster than you might think with the waterfall.

::I tried that rain-X de-fogger with little success. I now have a PC fan tilted at 30 degree angle into the tank, and it seems to keep all of the glass fog free most of the time, and 2 out of 3 of the glass sides fog free all of the time. What's more, the humidity isn't adversely affected, either (still stays between 85-100% without misting).

::I have toyed with designing an "air curtain" to keep all of the glass fog free all of the time. It would consist of a piece of 3/4" PVC running across the top interior of the tank (like a "U") directly above the three sides I want de-fogged all the time. By drilling a small hole every 1/2" in the PVC and connecting that pipe to the fan (via a larger PVC pipe glued to the fan and an adapter to the smaller diameter pipe), it should keep a constant sheet of air running across the glass when the fan is running and thereby preclude fogging.

::I haven't had time to build it yet, but I'll let you know when/if I successfully complete this project. The fan is the only successful way I have found to preclude the fog buildup.

::Homer

:::I just wanted to get some opinions on what every does to keep the glass from fogging up. My 29gal is almost done, but wow does it fog up fast and stay that way. I am going to try my fan that I have been testing for it, we will see.

:::What do you guys use?

:::Kyle
:::

::
::

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]