kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

More lighting questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by kyle1745 on April 22, 2003 at 10:37:52:

In Reply to: More lighting questions posted by archie on April 22, 2003 at 10:16:56:

Thats a good point. I have not tried the ones from walmart I will have to look when I am there next time.

Kyle

:Yes, any flourescent fixture will work, although you might want to check with sales clerck to make sure that the fixture works with a timer (assuming you want to use a timer). Some fixtues need to be manually started and will not work with a timer.

:A couple of other things for you to think about, though. What are you going to covering the tank with? Glass, plexi, screen? I ask because if you use glass or normal plexi, I would not spend the extra money to get a UVB producing bulb (such as the repti-glo) becuase most of it will be filtered out by the glass or Plexi. I would just use a bulb with a high Kelvin rating, such as the bulbs that come in the orange box at Walmart (sorry I can't remember the name at the moment.)

:Also, you can find 36" fixture and bulbs, but they are kind of a less used length, so they are harder to find and usually a good deal more expensive. If I were you I would probably get 2 or 3 or 4 24" fixtures and bulbs and stagger them in the canpoy you build.

:Dave

:
::so i can just buy any find of normal flourecent light fixture and put in the correct Repti Glo bulb and its ready to be used?

::i plan on making a canopy for my tank and mounting the light above it.

::another question. i see the longest repti glo bulb is 24" in. my tank is going to be 36" in.
::Should i just mount 1 24" inch light strip in the middle? or find 2 smaller light strips and mount them side by side? (which i cannot find on lowes' website the samllest is 24" in).

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]