kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Ventilation, Heat and humidity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]

Posted by Marcin on September 29, 2002 at 20:33:38:

In Reply to: Ventilation, Heat and humidity posted by Andrew Christman on September 29, 2002 at 18:17:02:

Hey, if you're talking about peltie coolers then you must have a regular 6,7 or 8" case fan from a PC, if not you can pick one up for a few $ at a computer store or take apart an old power supply.

Since you are setting up a bow front, you don't want it to be constantly fogged up. Get a large piece of plexi glass (a bit expensive), cut it (or have it cut) and put two fans. One blowing air into the tank and one blowing the air out of the tank. The one blowing air in should be placed very close to the glass, so it will keep the fog off of it. The other one you should place towards the back of the tank to get a nice circulation.

If you want to have some more control over the speed of the wind in your tank plug both of the fans into a universal power adapter that goes from 3V to 12V (don't go any higher since these fans are only rated to 12V). I usually leave it at about 4.5-6V, it creates a gentle flow through my terrarium, which is enough to get the fog off and still maintain 60-70% humidity.

Above picture is the plexi glass door in which I drilled a hole and mounted a fan. Make sure you put some fabric/mesh so your frogs can't get hit by the blades and that your pin heads and fruit flies don't come out.

This is the bottom view. You can see the other fan in the background.

This is what happened after 2 minutes, when I turned the fans off. I'm sure the frogs don't mind it, but I can't see sh!t. Once I put the fans on, everything is crystal clear within a few minutes. In my setup I also have a hood that covers all the lights. I put 3 more fans in the hood to get fresh air into the space under the hood and exchange it with the air in the tank. It works like a charm.

the best thing is that by flipping the switch on the AC adapter you can create a slight breeze or a hurricane. It's great. In my previous setup I had 3 fans in the top and I had a fogger in the tank. I could actually create a twister in my tank. It had a very nice rotation and it was over the water. It was awesome! Tank wasn't tight though and flies and pin heads were somehow getting out so I upgraded to a plexi glass (wife complained about the "bugs" getting out). I miss my tornado though !
:-(

I hope that helps
Best of luck,
Marty

going to have a bow front you don't want it to fog up..

:Hello again. Well after all that discussion over peltier coolers and my Mom decides that she is going to let me keep the frogs downstairs hehe. I have a few more questions. I have a 10 gallon upstairs setup that I may still play around with a peltier cooler on but for now it is just there to keep some moss I collected from around my area alive (it looks very nice I hope it lives). I covered the whole top with that plastic wrap stuff to keep humidity in but it has gotten to 108+ degrees inside there. With a glass top will it get as hot? Are darts real good at escaping, because I know I never thought my Fire Bellied toads could push a screen lid up! Basicly I'm asking how secure does the lid have to be, does it just have to set on top or does it have to push down real tight. Im planning on using a 46 Gallon bow front tank and the pet store had a glass lid that came with it that looked very nice. I have no clue if I could find a place to cut glass to fit that kind of tank. What kind of Ventilation do darts need? I've read some sites that say that they dont need much at all, if any other then just opening the tank for daily feeding and maintainence(SP). I'll probably need ventilation in the summer because it can get a bit warm in my house but for now I dont have to worry about that, compared to my second floor down here is a freezer! Sorry about the long post, I would rather post one message with a lot of questions then 10 posts with a lot of short questions. :D

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Arrowfrog Forum ]