kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Opinions on this please...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Anole Forum ]

Posted by rowad on May 03, 2003 at 13:13:11:

In Reply to: Opinions on this please... posted by rowad on May 03, 2003 at 13:07:47:

I started with one a long time ago...got a mate for him and like you said...very little experience and she died a few months later (the tank was a ten gallon and inappropriately set up).
At this point..everyone seems to be fine...although I do see they all have a certain territory within the cage. The greens on one side the browns on the other and the gecko is living next to the waterfall oblivious to everything. If for some reason one wonders into the others territory he/she is chased (even the females seem to protect what is theirs)...for this reason I'm considering a larger cage a 65 or 175 gallon. I could go nuts decorating, and they can have more territory.
Thanks for the imput Al!

::Experience is a factor. New to Anoles (A), moderately familiar with them (B), or experienced (C which is often erroneously referred to as being an expert).

::If you're person A, you really shouldn't have or be getting more than one Anole as your first attempt at Anole keeping. Use the one you get to gain experience. Once you're that far along, you may want to juggle more than one. In this case having separate individually housed Anoles is the best option. Once you're very experienced, a colony is now more so viable. I recommend a colony be no more than 1 male and 2 females, the end.

::Some general rules of thumb:
::

• 10 gallons per Anole if you do house more than one
  • Never mix males
  • Be mindful and observant always
  • Bullies must be liberated

::As long as no one fights, and everyone is eating perfectly, it's ok really. But as soon as any problems surface, the one creating them must be liberated. And since that is always a risk, it's better to teach the general populi that keeping multiple Anoles should be avoided, since individually housing them eliminates all problems associated with social strata and dominance. When you're very experienced with Anoles, basic guidelines don't always apply to you. Because at that level, you'll no longer be a question asker, but a consultant. In which case you'll know the issues that go along with Anole population control, and you'll be able to take your own approach, already knowing how to solve problems if they arise.

::~ALanolis

:
    :

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Anole Forum ]