kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: first time postin here just a quick question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by oldherper on March 30, 2003 at 13:49:45:

In Reply to: first time postin here just a quick question posted by snakito on March 29, 2003 at 13:27:36:

:just wondering how big greybands get??? and where is a good place to get one??

Adults average about 3 ft. They can attain lengths of close to 4 feet but in my experience not too many get more than about 40 inches or so. I did see trio (a male and 2 females) at a show last year that were spectacular...all 3 about 40 inches long and very heavy bodied, but, alas...as usual I had spent all of my money on Chondropythons and such and didn't have the funds left to buy them.

Be careful buying juveniles if you don't have experience getting them to feed...the babies can be frustrating to get started. I have had the best luck at reptile shows, buying from known breeders. That way you can see the animals and get a better idea of their condition. Buy last year's juveniles if they are available. For instance, if you buy one now, buy 2001 captive born snakes. They will already be established and feeding. A 2002 would be good also, if it's heavy bodied and healthy. If they haven't been started on pinkies yet, it usually fairly easy to tell because they will normally be fairly thin. Don't buy one that has been fed lizards unless it has already been switched to pinkies. Switching a baby greyband from lizards to pinkies can be extremely difficult. Unless you have a ready supply of Sceloporus lizards, you will have a feeding problem on your hands. After you get some experience with them, you will know more about how to deal with new babies. You will pay a little more for quality captive born animals, but it's worth it.

There is a lot of good information on this forum on caring for greybands. Read all you can find on here. There are also some good breeders here that won't steer you wrong if you decide to order an animal on the internet instead of going to a show. Check the classified section under colubrids and there is a classified section just for greybands, also. Be VERY careful buying one from a pet store.

Disclaimer:
The above is based on my personal experiences. Get second opinions, Your mileage may vary.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]