kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

The best time to go during the first half of the year is....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by Ric Blair on February 19, 2003 at 01:06:08:

In Reply to: Herping? posted by milkman on February 17, 2003 at 21:56:14:

Early May is a very ify month in the West Texas desert. It can still be cold at the beginning of the month. The later part of the month has better odds. The new moon toward the later part of the month is May 31st. This means that about 10 days before and about 5 days after can be good. Then comes your next big hurdle. That would be moisture. If it is not raining by then you could see very little. It seems like the prime temperature on the river road and the lower areas like the Gap is about 84 degrees.
If you get some moisture, such as intermitent rains or hard rains followed by 3 to 4 days of dryness can be optimum. I like clouds and showers moving around during the night making the barametric pressure bounce around and a change in the atmosphere with some moderate winds. When this happens everything seems to move. I will be there probably around May 23rd to June 2nd. Hope the conditions are right. Maybe I will see you there...Ric Blair

:I am leaving for vet school this June,and I am planning a trip to Texas in either March,April or May.My question is which month would be the better month to go.I went last fall to Dallas and I found a few reps but I want a change of scenery.I am going to south west TX.Hopefully the Chihuahuan Desert will be one of my stops.If you guys could let me know which is the more productive month it would help greatly.

:THANKS

:DERRICK
:MILKMAN

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]