kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Give me your thoughts/rantings/raves/arguments, etc....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by leonard on October 17, 2002 at 01:05:37:

I think this is an important topic for all herp lovers (especially snake folks like myself).

I'm just copying a post I gave on the current "locale" craze in herp circles. The craze seems to be worst among rosy boa folks. This was a response to someone asking why their hatchlings from a given pair always lost nervous control, shaked randomly, refused to eat and died after about 5-6 weeks.......

Let me give it a shot as I am a molecular biologist, who also happens to keep rosy boas. This
sounds to me like a "recessive lethal". These can be quite common with inbreeding in any
animal. It sounds to me like you are breeding two related snakes, possibly even hatchlings
from the same parents. While I have heard of hatchling matings and even parent/hatchling
matings that "worked"; this is always a bad idea, because recessives (mutations that result
in ablation or partial ablation of a gene/protein's function) always accumulate with
inbreeding. This results in a "weaker" animal, and curiously enough, almost always involves
neuronal/behavioral alterations.

The current "locale" craze is only making the inbreeding problem worse; as the number of
"founders" (original animals) from a given locale is obviously limited. So you can buy a male
and female "corn springs" rosy from two different sellers, and end up mating siblings without
knowing it.

Sure, you might get a new albino that is worth a lot of money, but you better not continue to
mate that albino (and its offspring) to other "corn springs" rosy boas (unless you collect one
yourself or verify somehow that they originated from different founders, or you will get all
kinds of recessives popping up, most of which result in disease, behavioral abnormalities, etc
etc.

albinism is also a recessive trait; and the number of them in the pet trade is increasing for
obvious reasons. Most or all of these resulted from inbreeding due to man's intervention in
choosing who breeds with who. So you can bet that any albino you buy carries other
recessives.

In the wild, snakes within a certain small geographic area or locale, will usually have some
sort of pheromone/scent recognition of their siblings/parents which turns them "off" so to
speak, but even so, their instincts make them disperse so that as long as the population
stays large enough, the chances of excess "inbreeding" is small.

The "locale purists" would do well to remember this. Don't get me wrong, as long as you
know your pair comes from different founders you are ok.

But I think the verdict is still out on whether or not locales are "pure" in any sense in the
wild. One rosy was tracked moving 20 miles in one week.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]