kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: This is the ever popular, I can't feed my gray band snakes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Alterna Forum ]

Posted by theMAC on October 03, 2002 at 13:16:29:

In Reply to: Re: This is the ever popular, I can\'t feed my gray band snakes posted by brad anderson on September 25, 2002 at 14:32:06:

ok, I recently purchased a handsome neonate alterna from a guy at a herp show who assured me it was eating pinkies.
I set it up like all my other kings and milks and let it settle in. Then I gave it a nice pinky, just like I do the other 5 babies (pyros, corns, andeans)...nuthin... I went and read bob applegates site and tryed washing the pinkies. nuthin Then I tryed the pinky brain thing....nuthin After 2 weeks the baby shed. Still no eating....2 weeks later I finally went to the pile of pallets behind where I work and clubbed a lizard (sorry peta). I took scissors and snippe doff th ehead and tail and legs and rubbed the blood all over a fully thawed and washed pinky. it ate the lizard torso AND the pinky. 1 week later I tryed a regular pinky (washed) and it ignored it. So I repeated the lizard trick and offered it both to eat and it ate both again. I have since put several lizards in the freezer. I am assured that if I will continue to try a washed pinky first and then a pinky covered in lizard blood (I will stop putting in the lizards now that I am not worried about it starving) that will eventually take the pinky with no lizard blood or washing.
So, take heart. I waited 4 weeks to try the lizard trick and I should have done it first.
:)

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Alterna Forum ]