kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Parasite identification help

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ]

Posted by Ed on July 22, 2001 at 21:31:57:

I need help identifying a parasite. Under the scope, they are what I refer to as fast movers.Freely moving and squeezing through passages, in a constant state of movement.
They're tiny, even under 100 x 1.25 magnification.
They look like little ovules with a small
flagellate tail that doesn't seem to be used for locomotion. It looks as if the little guys are covered with cilia, which is used for locomotion.
Here's the big stumper. They infected ( assumed ) a cornsnake
( unknown to me, first victim ), and within 5 days of displaying a non-interest in food, the animal was found dead.
( Otherwise healthy ) A second animal, Cal King began displaying the food refusal, but no parasites could be located in the stool. The animal resumed normal feeding after 4-5 days
and began regurgitation within 48 hours after consuming the food items. This time the parasite was located in very large quantities in the direct stool smear. 2 days later the cal
king was observed to be suffering a blotting and some respiratory distress. Discharged nasal mucus was also observed under the scope. Once again very large numbers of the
same parasite could be found within the mucous of the animal.
Treatment with Flagyl ( 50 mg per kg ) was started 3 days ago, without any reversal of the
symptoms.
I'm unfamiliar with this parasite that seems to be attacking the mucous membrane of the animals, both the digestive tract and respiratory tract.
I really screwed up. I believe I introduced this disaster via an imported animal that I was looking at to purchase. I didn't purchase the animal, nor did the animal get within 15 miles
of my collection, BUT, I did use one of my large feeding tweezers to pick the animal up. I later realized that I didn't sterilize those tweezers when I returned home with them. I
know the odds weren't too great for the parasite transfer, but it is the only source I can think of.
That animal later died !!!!! ( A tree viper which later displayed respiratory distress prior to death )
Should I use a higher dosage of Flagyl ?
What is this parasite?
Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Ivomectin ???
Please e-mail me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title: