kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Reptiles and respect .democratic education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on November 29, 2000 at 19:53:01:

I am currently studying for my final year BA Hons degree in education at Sunderland university in England
My thesis is about using reptiles in education.
I am currently looking for information on the use of reptiles and in particular the subject of Zoonosis and salmonella.
I am an enthusiast and I have three reptiles 2 Bosc monitors and 1 Ornate Nile Monitor and I feel they do not get a fair press.
can you help me to locate a risk assessment for reptiles in education or any other information you feel may help me

I would appreciate any help you can give as i am having some major problems ie
.peoples perception of reptiles dangerous and poisonous
.No one can make decisions on diseases spread to humans from reptiles.I have evidence that dogs and cats are more dangerous,but to overcome peoples perception is impossible
.Reptile keepers dislike each other.Each one knows better than the other
.loads of people want to help reptiles but have no time to help or advice me.
.Spoke to television celebrity who works with reptiles he can not comment to busy and not allowed to help because of production bosses and sponsors.Does not believe they should be in captivity(what do we do with the ones that are here and now)
.Animal right activists.
.Zoos have stopped taken certain types of reptiles to many being handed in neglected
.My college i teach at prevented me using mine to show students,even though they asked initially.There excuse was stress on the animal and the risk of disease.I asked what about the cows,dogs,sheep and reptiles they have already what about them No reply?
.Qualifications? I have none though vets will see a reptile with no knowledge about them and still charge for the privilege.Their is also no real qualification because people dont know enough about them.Some vets know more than others.
and so on

I am looking for somebody with expertise to actively support me on the project whatever the outcome

Can you help me and the reptiles because i am starting to feel us herp lovers are our own enemies

David

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ] [ FAQ ]