return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Young people and herping. I would like alot of opinions on this.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Marcia on October 15, 1999 at 14:06:45:

In Reply to: Young people and herping. I would like alot of opinions on this. posted by John Hewlett on August 07, 1999 at 14:44:11:

I am new to herps, but have had some frogs for about a year, and added my 1st reptiles , a trio of Horned Mtn Dragons, this spring.

I have a 2-year-old granddaughter who loves to help me with my "pets". Froggie was one of her 1st words. She will help me dig through the box of kingworms looking for just the right ones to feed. By the time she was 18 months old, she was asking me to put my little tree dragons on her shirt so she could pet them like "Grandma" does.

She has no fear of any of my critters and has learned very young to be gentle with these small creatures. We now have a snake, to which she initially made her sound for Icky! But now, her mother has a Ball Python and she wants to help with it and pets it as well as our larger rat snake.

I really have to believe that through early exposure to anything children learn acceptance. If more children were taught that these are a valuable part of our environment, and were taught that they aren’t ‘icky’, perhaps we wouldn't see so many species being threatened.

I guess that's more than my 2 cents worth!

: Hi,
: I am preparing a article on young people in the herpetological community.

: Can you give some of your veiws on young people in the herpetological community?

: Thanks John

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Academic Forum ] [ FAQ ]