kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Importation of Dart frogs into Canada

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CITES Forum ]

Posted by Roy Stockwell on January 20, 2003 at 01:48:47:

In Reply to: Re: Importation of Dart frogs into Canada posted by Wu-Gwei on January 14, 2003 at 21:05:37:

Designated ports are only in the USA, not Canada.
There is really no inspection in Canada. They must be inspected in the USA by the USF&W service before they can legally leave.
One problem is that designated ports exist only at the large US airports. Some states don't have any designated ports, so animals may need to be flown for
the inspection to another state. This is where things get tricky because neither airlines or USF&W is responsible for moving the shipment from one airline to another
and facilitating the inspection and paper handling...If this is going to be done, you need a customs broker to take custody of the shipment and insure the inspection is done
before routing the animals internationally.
This is really not the best choice..Try to buy from someone near a designated port, or you can get the export license, and arrange the inspection in the USA yourself then bring them across at a border port.(Niagara crossings)
The US F&W service allows Canadians to have US import/export licenses to faciliatate trade by car across the border.
Please be clear that this is an American requirement, and NO herps are to leave or enter American soil without being inspected and having the 3-177 declaration filed. I usually fill them out myself but USF&W will have these on hand
and will fill them out if you don't do it.
There is no special Canadian licenses required for either the importing or exporting of herps. All you need to do on the Canadian side is declare them and pay provincial and federal GST tax.

:Roy,

:So let me get this straight...

:US exporter:
:CITES export permit
:Export License (US$55 anf good for one year and exporters would have this already, if they export a lot - right?)
:Ships it to a desgnated port

:Then USF&W will receive & open the package, and who fills out the 3-177 export form? The USF&W stamps the CITES & 3-177. Who sends it off to the CDN airport?

:Then I show up at the airport to pick it up for CDN inspection? I want to import turtles. I know about the CFIA import procedures (CFIA Import Permit would accompany the shipment - right)?

:My biggest concern is the arrival of the shipment at a designated port and inspection and shipment to Canada. In article by Roy Stockwell, it mentions about a broker who will do this? I don't understand.

:Thanks.

:Cheers,
:JJ
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CITES Forum ]