kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: importation of CB CITES II animals

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The CITES Forum ]

Posted by rkreptiles on December 02, 2002 at 09:45:33:

In Reply to: Re: importation of CB CITES II animals posted by lolaophidia on November 30, 2002 at 09:25:58:

If the animals are already in the US i.e. imported by someone else and for sale. there are no special license requirements except for certain species. i.e. Venomous,Crocodilian. If they are just lizards there should not be any special licenses required.

:Thanks! That would certainly use up any cost savings. In the US, with Interstate transport would I also need any licenses? Florida to Virginia. I know the shipping would be a lot less...

::In order to import any C.I.T.E.S. animals you must have your USFW Import/Export license ($50). Depending on the animal you will need to get C.I.T.E.S. App. II documents (approx. $65) as well as he (your supplier) will have to get App. II documents. The animal has to be shipped via air cargo and shipped to a authorized port of entry for USFW, you will have to declare the shipment and fill out the USFW forms, you will have to have USFW clear and inspect the shipment ($55-$125)and you will have to have US Customs clear your shipment as well. If you are not near a Authorized port of entry, you will to retain the services of a Broker (approx.$125-$250) to handle the whole inspections and have the animals forwarded to your location. Freight from Europe and Freight from the Auth. Port will range in prices depending on which carrier is used. Even though the animal might be less expensive in that country it is going to cost you to import it to the US.

::

:::Hypothetical Question (don't you just love those?!)...
:::If I were interested in getting a Captive Bred lizard from a private owner in Germany and I'm in the US. Is there a permit involved and who needs to get it? The importer or the exporter? I'm interested in a lizard that's CITES II and they are somewhat less expensive in Europe than in the US. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The CITES Forum ]